Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Post#9: Long-Term Global Forecast? Fewer Continents By WILLIAM J. BROAD

Read the New York Times article "Long-Term Global Forecast? Fewer Continents" By WILLIAM J. BROAD at http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/science/09geo.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Watch the "Dancing of the Continents" by clicking on the icon titled multimedia located to the left of the article or just click on the following link: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/09/science/20070109_PALEO_GRAPHIC.html

Click and enlarge the icon titled, "In 25 million years..." and write a reaction about what scientists predict about the Gulf of California and Los Angeles.

After you read the article give your opinion on the following questions in two paragraphs (5 sentences per arrticle) based on the article.
Due Sunday by 12pm.

1. What are Scientists predicting about the future of plate tectonics?
2. What will happen in California?
3. How do you feel after reading such an article?

5 comments:

Dren K. said...

I am very amazed after seeing the video and reading the article. I think tha watching the animation just made me think on how the world works and how it continuously changes. The scientists predict that the world will keep moving around until they eventually hit together, creating a super continent called Ultima Pangea. The scientists think that southern California will completely move and crash into Alaska.I feel very wierd that the world will change. I also feel kind of curious weather the human race will live by the time Ultima Pangea forms, look what happened to the dinosaurs. Ialso feel kind of jealous of the future people who will have a new map and completely new geography.

Jacob said...

Scientists have predicted a lot about plate tectonics. They have predicted that the next super continent will form in 250 million years. In 100 million years Australia will be connected to Asia. Scientists predict that in 25 million years the Gulf of California will become a narrow seaway. Southern California will move up the west coast to make Alaska bigger.
After reading this article I am curious about what will happen to the Earth in the future. I now have many questions about the future. What will happen to life on Earth when the continents collide? How will the climate be affected by the continents colliding? What will happen 200 million years after the continents collide?

Hayden E. said...

This artical said that all the land plates will eventualy form pangeae again. i looked at our E.S.R.T. and found that indeed all of the plates are moving toward each other.

Meagan T,Megan Rivera, Morgan Lee said...

i was amazed reading the article .I found out that scientist predict that the world will keep moving around until they eventually hit each other . Scientist also think that southern Cali will completly move and crash into alaska .To hear this i was shocked especially about cali . Were used to seeing california as some beautiful place and rodeo drive . That will be kinda funny if cali is in alska were it is freezing . I am just hoping that nothing happens right now or in the future .

Anonymous said...

It will be a disaster if the plate tectonics reform Pangea again beacause it would cause lots of trubble to everyone. Even if I wouldn't be there to witness it I know that there will be lots of earth quakes that will destroy everything. It will also be a disaster if California becomes part of Alaska, because it would be further away from the equater. So then California would just be like another land covered with ice. Or maybe when that happens Alaska would be hot too because of global warming. This article wasn't suprising to me because I knew that this was going to happen because we reviewed it in class, but when I first found out I felt very suprised.