Monday, December 11, 2006

Post#6: Zapping Brain Cells

Go to: http://whyfiles.org/250alcohol_brain/ and read Zapping Brain Cells then write a one paragraph response.

12 comments:

sophiayo said...

I think that the article zapping brain cells is very interesting because I learned that if you drink when you are pregnant, sometimes you can kill the baby. But if they survive, when they grow older they start to have mental issues. This happens because of their mother the alcohol that they drink will affect the child’s brain cells and it will start to die as he or she starts to grow older.

Dren K. said...

Zapping Brain Cells, the article, was very interesting to me, because a lot of people drink and say that they have no problem with it. They do not know that when they feed alcohol to their cells they are immediately killing their cells silently and swiftly. What they are doing is called cell suicide according to the article. Whether you have a few drinks or a lot you are still killing your cells. That is why you always see surgeons general warning on beer to warn women that drinking while pregnant will lead to miscarriage, still birth, or birth defects. Women say that they will have only one drink and it will do no harm, ut one drink leads to another and that leads to babies doing cell suicide, which kills the babies or mentally retards them. Alcohol is very addicting, and you don’t know how much you drink. When people get drunk they will drink so much beer that they don’t even know it.

Danielle S. said...

I learned that FAS is very dangourus. It is caused by Mothers drinking booze (alchol) while pregnat. Sometimes they come out with facial distotments or certain disorders. Mental Retardation is a big one. Studies show that people who are born with FAS are most likley to have learning diabilitys or slow development.

Jacob said...

I think this article is very interesting. I learned a lot. Ethyl alcohol causes about 100,000 premature deaths and is the cause of a lot of violent crime. Fetal alcohol syndrome affects about 1 percent of American births. This happens when women drink when they are pregnant. I think that it is really bad that this happens to kids when it isn't there fault.

Meagan T,Megan Rivera, Morgan Lee said...

When you read this story it really makes a effect on you . Just seeing the visual of what happens when adults drink alcohal when there pregnent is just so shocking to see. I personally think that adults should not drink like that at all beacuse drinking can kill you . I just really feel bad for the kids who have to grow up living like this . It is not fare for them beacuse it was not there choice to look like this .

Danny D. said...

I think this article is imprtant for people that drink to read. I think it is even more important for women that are pregnent because it shows and tells you what happens to your baby and I do not think a new born should be born like that.

saskia & jade & kalene said...

Wow, I never knew that driking alcohol during pregnency could cause that much harm to a baby. I had never heard of FAS before this article. I feel bad for the babies born with this syndrome since it isnt their fault at all. But, in fact it's their "loving, caring" mothers fault. What I dont get is why pregnant women stop drinking during pregnancies, it's just like your not supposed to smoke during pregnancy. This problem could easily be prevented.

Hayden E. said...

This just shows that so many things we do affect what we hold most dear. Many people just drink because they like it but they dont know the consecunces.

Anonymous said...

This article is sad, interesting and informative at the same time. Its sad that it can be so harmful and what makes it worse is that so many people do it. I was alarmed at the fact that fetal alcohol syndrome negatively affects 1 percent of all American births. I didnt know that before. I also didnt know that cells werent able able to repair al injuries when it gets to a certain amount of injuries.

Youssef & Marissa said...

Any pregnant woman who thinks drinking is an okay thing to do is pretty stupid. It gets me mad when I hear that they still drink, even when they know that their baby is in danger of being mentally ill. It's like everytime they sit down to drink, they know that their baby can be born with Fetal Alcohol Sydrome, and they don't care. They may not care now, but when they see what they've done to their new born, then they'll regret it. This will not only affect their baby, it will affect them as well.

Matilda K. said...

I learned that FAS is a disorder caused to unborn babies by the mother drinking alcohol, or more specifically, booze while pregnant. The children born are too small and often grow up to have behavior problems.

Megan R. said...

I think the article Zapping Brain Cells, was very interesting because a lot of people drink. Many people drink for any little thing, like a wedding, or just for a relaxing state of being over the weekend. Either way people drink. Alcohol is as addicting as drugs are. Woman whom are pregnant or another people whom are just drinking are at serious risk. Pregnant women whom drink, put there children to a definite risk of there children being mentally disabled. Other people who just drink to get drunk, are loosing brains cells little by little, said from the article. I NEVER KNEW THAT.