Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Post#3: The Montauk Lighthouse in Jeopardy!

The Montauk lighthouse is in jeopardy!
Click on the above link to read the New York Times article. Watch the video too. The lighthouse was built in 1796 (commissioned by George Washington). During our trip to the Montauk lighthouse we observed how close the lighthouse was to the ocean. The buffer between the sea and the lighthouse has shrunk from a 300 feet to 75 feet. In your opinion what should happen to the Montauk lighthouse? Who is responsible for what's currently happening to this historic landmark? How is global warming connected to this issue? Give your opinion and thoughts about this subject in one paragraph.

12 comments:

Hayden E. said...

in my opinion we should put some armor because otherwise there would be masive home loss when the sand goes and so many people go there every year. i think that it should be up to the envirment control people, because they would know the effects of what we will do. i do not think that global warming is conected to erosian.

Hayden Esman

Juan Carlos A. said...

I think that the light house is going to be destroy

Dren K. said...

In my opinion the light house should have a barrier around it, but one that matches the scenery, because who would want to see a metal wall covering up this artifact. I thnkthe people who drive cars often and spend money o harmful gasses are responsible for this. The reason being that the gasoline that people pour into their cars is bad for their envirnment. The sea is being affected and the water is rising, so erosion happens. The light house should be saved, but in a way that it doesn't make it look bad.

Danielle S. said...

I think they should move it because they can't stop the erosion of the cliff. Also if the lighthouse were to get destroyed then a historical monument would be destroyed. This light house is a beacon. We also have to take into consideration the surfers too.

Jacob said...

I think building a wall by the coastline is a good idea. I think that it is a good way to save the lighthouse. I don’t think it is anybody’s fault. I think global warming is connected because it is causing stronger waves and is causing more erosion.

Danny D. said...

I think what would happen to the light house is that it would go under the sea if the that rock gets moved. I think it will be destoyed because of the erosions and its only 75 feet away and i don not see any that stoppin that. I think people are responsible because of global warming and the sea leval is rising. I think we should move the light house.

Danny D. said...

I think what would happen to the light house is that it would go under the sea if the that rock gets moved. I think it will be destoyed because of the erosions and its only 75 feet away and i don not see any that stoppin that. I think people are responsible because of global warming and the sea leval is rising. I think we should move the light house.

Youssef & Marissa said...

Eventually, the water and sand is going to get closer and closer to the light house, and then there will be no light house. After watching the video about the light house, now I know that global warming is the reason why these waves of water are acting the way they're acting. Also, surfing is now a big issue near the light house. It isnt exactly safe anymore.

sophiayo said...

I think the light house is going to be destroyed because of global warming. I think that Antarctica's ice will melt and produce more water. Then it will start to spread all over the world causing strong waves, which crashes into Montauk. So I think people should find a way to block the currents so that the lighthouse wouldn't be destroyed.

Megan R. said...

I think that the lighthouse in a couple of years will eventually start to crumble into the ocean because the rock is deteriorating under it, because of the oceans waves. No one is responsible for thee light house and whets happening to it, because you can't change nature. Global warming raises the ocean level and the pollution contaminates the water, which makes the water become like a slow acid that chews away at the rocks, so eventually the rock house we'll be to close by the edge.

saskia & jade & kalene said...

I think that the lighthouse should be saved because it is a national monument. There are other places surfers can surf at, they dont need to surf at that exact spot. They should try to help save the lighthouse since it is so special. No one is really responsible for this problem, they should just try to stop the lighthouse from being ruined. The sea level is rising because of global warming, and that could be why the lighthouse might be destroyed.

Avery, Candy, and Deiona said...

I think that is happening with the lighthouse, is nobody’s fault. I think Mother Nature is changing over time, and maybe the lighthouse is supposed to be barricaded, maybe that is the way things are going to happen, sooner or later the lighthouse will probably be under water.